Flow ?

ian

Hi guys.

from my experience playing with ESTEPS in cura is like pissing on electric cables, often painful.....

so now i jsut ignore esteps, use what ever cura gives me, cut my gcode with cura, copy the gcode on sd card and pop it in.

then start up the print, normally using rafting to start.

and see how the flow is coming from the hot end and extruder.

then when i hike up the speed a littleand notice the amount of material is getting a little thin.. then on my ulti controller, i go to TUNE, FLOW, and then hike up the numbers. I am playing with 270 at speed 400 at the moment and that seems to work well.

My question is, how high can the FLOW go ?

Why do we need e steps, when we can just adjust the FLOW rate (speed of extruder) and eye ball out the flow coming out of the hot end for a minute or two and then bingo ?

Thanks.

Ian

Adjusting the flow IS adjusting the steps-per-E actually. Only the displayed value is wrong :) the flow is displayed as 655.35 too low. So 270 flow is actually 270+655.35=925.35 steps per E.

I think I fixed the display bug in Marlin, but I haven't tested it yet.

I too have noticed that the E setting isn't as useful as it might seem. in another thread I lamented the fact that I have to set it to >900 to avoid under extrusion and as speed increases, almost set it to 1040 to ensure a decent print.

tests with the v2 hotend have so far shown i need slightly higher than usual numbers to achieve equivlaent quality prints - this basically means we are ramming filament into the hotend faster than it should be able to come out, yet not doing so always underextrudes. nobody has been able to explain why this is. (Daid did manage to very neatly explain why it shouldn't be, but this doesn't match my observations)