Printhead starts moving around the print at some point

Vissenkom

Posted · Printhead starts moving around the print at some point

Hi everyone,

I'm kinda new to 3d printing, but i managed to get a couple of succesfull simple prints, like a small wrench, a bottle opener, and the little robot. But a problem that keeps reoccuring is that after about 5-20 minutes of printing, the printhead kind of 'pushes' the print around the glass plate. I have made a short video of this:

Does anyone know what to do about this?

Also, This happens at some abitrary point, so I've never actually 'seen' the point at which it happens as I'm not paying attention to the printer all the time.

Hope someone can help me! Cheers!

Posted (edited) · Printhead starts moving around the print at some point

Hi Vissenkom,

What you are seeing is that your print got detached from the buildplate.

Usually you want the print to stay attached to the buildplate, and you'll have the printhead build the model. In order to create a form, it needs to build one layer on top of the next. This only works if that previous layer stays at the same place ;)

In your case, it is moving along with the printhead. So nothing is being made, except a blob because the printhead does keep extruding.

I see you have an Ultimaker Original without a heated bed and you have some remains of the blue tape (it looks to be light blue?)

I would recommend to get out and buy some darker blue tape, put that on the buildplate and start another print. The tape should enhance the adhesion and you should be able to print reliably.

You can find some instructions here.

Good luck!

Edited by Guest

If you read the instructions you will find an image on how you should apply the tape.

In lines, next to each other. Try to line them up precisely without any air or dirt underneath.

In theory you only need to cover the area where you are going to print, but unless it got damaged or dirty you don't need to remove the tape.

So taping the entire surface of the bed will allow you to print big and small, without the need of redoing the tape. When 1 strip got damaged, you only need to replace that one strip.

Your supply is enough for quite some time! :)

There are some minor gaps between the layers of tape, but I figure that shouldn't be a problem would it? Also, I didn't buy the tape from the online store but from some local DIY store. It's Scotch 3M 2090.

Cheers!12000014_1141475382547630_1417131735_n.thumb.jpg.1e4a009a13c3b51aac0345b3c1575133.jpg

12000014_1141475382547630_1417131735_n.thumb.jpg.1e4a009a13c3b51aac0345b3c1575133.jpg

Posted (edited) · Printhead starts moving around the print at some point

They may reflect on the bottom surface of your print, it is up to you to decide if that is a problem or not.

2090 is good, the shade of blue on your picture however looks like it is the 3434.

It works as well, but has less adhesion than 2090.

(3434 it is a great tape if you want to do autoprints for example).

Edited by Guest