Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
jleichne

Ultimaker does not sit flat - help!

Hello everybody!

Quick question - I've finished assembling my frame and tightening all of the screws (albeit with some minor scares due to random creaks and other noises).

It won't sit perfectly flat.

It rocks very slightly back and forth. Enough that a heavy moving printer head would probably shake it.

That can't be correct...right? Is the next step unfastening the whole thing and putting it back together more snugly?

Do I need to sand the tabs better? How do I know which ones?

Does anybody else have these same problems? I want to wait to proceed until this is fixed - I should wait, right?

(also one of my Limit switches was prestripped but I already contacted the Ultimaker support group)

Jared

Hi Jared,

I would first ask what your point of reference is.

What surface are you putting it on, to know that its not flat?

I assembled my frame on a plate glass coffee table, which unless you have a granite obelisk at home, is

about as good as it gets. Its made of wood, after all so it cannot ever be flat. But I would say that you should be

able to get it good enough so that one sliver of writing paper under one corner will stop it rocking.

But as I say, unless you have something perfectly flat to put it on, its not going to be simple to line everything up.

C.

For the print itself, it's no problem that it shakes. The printer keeps printing fine, even if you shake it or hold it upside down. (Yes, that was tested by Joris)

I haven't seen a machine that wasn't standing stable on a flat surface, but yours could be slightly skewed. Shouldn't be a problem really, if everything moves smoothly then go and print!

Be very careful with the motors, the "standard" bolts are too short (ok they "work" but are not ideal as only

about 2 threads engage). Recommend using longer bolts, I used m3x20s with some washers to get the right

length. Also take the shard edges off your pulleys (there are two flat washers on each pulley to keep the belt on and the egdes are really sharp, these will slowly chew on your belt edges. This can be done with the edge of a flatblade screwdriver or extremely carefully with a stanley knife. Sorry gone a little off topic there but...