Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
ponsmeister

Just building my new Ultimaker...

Hello,

My name is Victor. I received my Ultimaker kit yesterday.

I am busy building for 1 and a halve day straight. Sofar, sogood. I am just having a bit of trouble to get the long belts equally tensioned. I should be able to print in a day or two....

Untill now it's like putting together an Ikea flatpack, they also have confusing assembly instructions ;)

I'll keep you informed,

Got mine last week, after few days from ordering, DHL was knocking to my doors (2 days from europe to nashville,tn... very impresive)

Went through silver/black painting (looks like aluminum-titan enclosure now:) and assembly this weekend and did few easy prints. I wanted to keep my printer away from high humidity every summer, so I painted it. I think that kinda Plexiglas cover box will also help to keep dust and moisture from frame, axises and PLA filament.

Based on my experience

-like it was mentioned, X,Y motors screws are to short to make robust mounting, ACE hardware store fortunately has metrics M3 screws in different sizes.

-have strange feeling that my X axis is running much smoother than Y axis, getting a little bit ellipsoid circles when printing

-already had filament lockup with "fast printing" mode, and looks like extruder upgrade is a must (looking into Bertho mod right now)

-be careful about end-stop switches -with blue cables (it is mentioned in user comments that cable connection markings to PCB board are switched)

-it is very easy to stripped end-stop switches, so if You do that, use piece of plastic tape to make thread more tight

(something like on this clip

)

-V2 hot end assembly instruction requires more detailed description, I had to disassembly my head twice before I figured out everything

-in some cases instead using lot of pressure to sit things correctly I used small hammer and piece of plywood (paint layer made everything much tighter)

-i have parts for heated bed option, so hopefully soon I will be able to do some ABS printing

-left side end-stop switch required some bending, if it is not done, head fan duct is hitting back side of the Z-stage

Right now I am impressed about how this kit is working out, and spent hour just looking how printer is making those precision prints, layer by layer...

Regards

Jarek