LED's on UMO?

Posted · LED's on UMO?

Hey guys, I've been seeing a lot of fancy looking UMO's and UMO+ with LED strips in the frame, and I would like to do this with mine. I have some 12v blue flex LED strips lying around, but I seem to recall hearing that the UMO uses 19v for all of its electronics. How might I go about adding some sexy LED's to my machine? Thanks.

Posted · LED's on UMO?

But that thread is discussing the umo+, which I read uses the um2 board. Do the two have the same board? I have a umo, which I read uses 19v for power. Also, does this mean they have the same layout and would have the same 12v connector on the board?

Posted · LED's on UMO?

Take a look at this topic and my entries there :)

https://ultimaker.com/en/community/view/1605-adding-12v-leds-to-ultimaker

It's hard to see from your picture, but did you also wire in those three caps on your board? Also, how big of a heat sink would be required? I have some small ones that used to be on some bad stepper drivers. Would that be enough, or would the LM7812 require more?

Posted · LED's on UMO?

I skipped the caps :p If you use a 7812, there is some (quite?) some heat, just to be sure I added a heat sink I had somewhere :p Using a DC DC converter should be the best solution.

Posted · LED's on UMO?

Using a DC DC converter should be the best solution.

Well, if a lm7812 doesn't put out that much heat, I think a small heat sink on either side will be more than enough.

I read in that thread that caps were added to compensate for flickering?

Lastly, what port did you plug all this into on the board? I read that people were using the heated bed power? But wouldn't that not always be powered?

Posted · LED's on UMO?

You can pick multiple locations. I believe I picked the 19V leds port. But if you pick the HB you can turn it on and off using Gcode :) I opted for a switch hidden in the bottom.

Posted · LED's on UMO?

You can pick multiple locations. I believe I picked the 19V leds port. But if you pick the HB you can turn it on and off using Gcode :)I opted for a switch hidden in the bottom.

Yeah I was thinking about getting a silver 16mm anti vandal switch with blue LED to match my strips. Thanks for the help!