Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Jay_Cee

Filament won't feed to the nozzle

I'm at my wits end with this one....so apologies if this a bit ranty.

When I feed the filament, it often gets stuck just before going into the nozzle. This has been happening since I got the printer and the only solution is to manually feed the filament into the nozzle and then slide the bowden tube over this. It prints ok after doing this but I often get clicking during prints and my printer seems to struggle with all but the most basic prints - even when going to a slow speed (30mm). So why isn't my filament going into the nozzle on initial load?

This isn't a bowden issue - I've wiggled it and it connects to the white teflon thing.

I feel like I've troubleshooted a lot:

This isn't a bowden issue - I've wiggled it and it connects to the white teflon thing. I also bought a new bowden tube.I have dismantled the feeder and tried different tensions but that didn't happen.

Then because I thought maybe there was a small blockage in the nozzle after reading this forum I dismantled my hot end and reassembled it with all new components. I broke the temperature sensor in the progress so I had to get a new one (is this a design flaw? I can't imagine that many people can change that without breaking it). But even after reassembling I still have this same issue.

I don't really know what else to do now. Anyone know whats happening - is it just faulty and a misalignment somewhere?

Do you cut a point in the filament so its like a sharpened pencil? Make sure you always do this to prevent snags, I use sprue cutters to do this or you can use side cutters.

If you do but it still gets caught then you might have some misalignment issue or something going on.