Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
danzen

Washers and locknuts

Hi guys,

I still have a long wait before my UM arrives but a few details of the mechanical assembly is bugging me.

To begin with, why the lack of washers? They are dirt cheap and helps to distribute the load of the bolts.

I think washers are especially important here since the frames are made of wood and tend to give quite a bit.

Secondly, I'm thinking of replacing the majority of the regular nuts used with locknuts.

I understand that locknuts are not provided in the kit to keep the cost down.

The movements and vibrations would eventually loosen regular nuts and I'd imagine that it would affect the quality of the prints.

It doesn't seem very fun to regularly check and tighten each of the 120(?) nuts on the UM.

You could say that the give of the wood could serve as some sort of preload but I'd hate to rely on that. I'm probably just really picky.

It doesn't look like locknuts can fit in the T-slots though, can someone confirm this?

Not really a mod, but maybe small changes that would result in noticeable improvements?

Hi guys,

I still have a long wait before my UM arrives but a few details of the mechanical assembly is bugging me.

To begin with, why the lack of washers? They are dirt cheap and helps to distribute the load of the bolts.

I think washers are especially important here since the frames are made of wood and tend to give quite a bit.

Secondly, I'm thinking of replacing the majority of the regular nuts used with locknuts.

I understand that locknuts are not provided in the kit to keep the cost down.

The movements and vibrations would eventually loosen regular nuts and I'd imagine that it would affect the quality of the prints.

It doesn't seem very fun to regularly check and tighten each of the 120(?) nuts on the UM.

You could say that the give of the wood could serve as some sort of preload but I'd hate to rely on that. I'm probably just really picky.

It doesn't look like locknuts can fit in the T-slots though, can someone confirm this?

Not really a mod, but maybe small changes that would result in noticeable improvements?

I know what you mean but the build seems very good as it is. The only screws that have been loosening are the motor mount ones.