UM Original+ Y Axes grinding noise + difficultly moving

ansonl

Posted · UM Original+ Y Axes grinding noise + difficultly moving

Hi,

I just finished building an Ultimaker Original+ and am having some issues with the Y axes movement.

When moving the Y axes, there are loud grinding noises and the movement along that axes is inhibited. I have made sure that the sliding blocks are on opposite are level with each other and have also tried adding some oil to the left Y axes.

Moving the printer head along the Y axes by hand when the machine is off is also very hard. The X axes moves easily, but the Y axes feels like it is getting "stuck" at certain points along the way. I recorded a short clip of this is action. :(

The X axes is moved to show the proper sound.

The next axis moved is Y and it makes a grinding noise and the movement along the axes is inhibited. Where it stops is where the UM thinks 210mm is due to the difficultly moving along that axes.

Any advice on what could be the problem? I just bought this UM Original+ from the online Ultimaker Store if source make a difference. Thanks!

Check that the short belts are moving (more or less) on the center of their pulleys. If not take out the pulley of the motor and move it a few mm. Also when assembling the pulleys It's very important (and undocumented) to try to align the pulleys with their belts so everything moves without grinding the belts.

• 7 months later...

Has there been a solution to this? I am experiencing the same problem with the addition of my Y stepper stopping completely. I have tried everything I've read online to no avail. I'm starting to wonder if the stepper motor I received was a dud.