Ralphvigg

Does PLA/ABS actually get ruined when exposed to humidity?

Posted · Does PLA/ABS actually get ruined when exposed to humidity?

Ive seen some horror stories about people's filament getting too moist and then failing prints. But ive seen an equal number of people who leave their filament out in the open next to their printer and it lasts until it runs out of filament.

Would putting it in a large Ziplock bag work? Or an airtight plastic bin? I have 2 rolls of ABS and 1 of PLA in their packaging, vacuum sealed. I'd like to know how to store it before I unseal them.

Ive heard of reusable vacuum/freezer bags, but couldnt i just compress out as much air as possible out of a ziplock and use that?

Posted · Does PLA/ABS actually get ruined when exposed to humidity?

I don't know why, but I do know I've got some faberdashery pla in nice aluminum zip lock bags gone totally brittle and useless while Colorfabb in the carton box seems to last longer. I guess also the pure pla last less long than the softer Colorfabb.