Minimizing initial stringy-ness

jleichne

Posted · Minimizing initial stringy-ness

Hey yall'

I've only had this printing for like two days but already I have been impressed by the ability of the built-in retract mechanism in Cura (which I have barely played with but was able to print the vertical DNA model rather accurately).

Here's my question: When I warm up my head, it always starts pushing out tiny strands of filament. When it begins printing, I always need to make sure that the filament is a certain length so that it does not mess up the first layer and hence the whole print.

Do you all just do what I do, and pull it off real quick right as it starts printing?

Jared

Posted · Minimizing initial stringy-ness

I've been tuning on this the past few days. I use a variety of methods to help off-set this. I do try to keep a small bit of card stock in my hand (like a business card) so that I can catch the ooze right before the job begins. I also have taken to using two skirt runs around each part with a slightly larger distance from the model. That usually is enough to get any globs to stick around the outside. Lastly, I've seen that lowering the temperature helps a lot too. I have one job I run at 185 degrees that doesn't ooze at all, but sometimes has adherence issues. Generally, temperatures between 190 and 200 degrees help to reduce the ooze. But, if you are printing larger and faster, you'll need those higher temps. In my case, I was printing objects that are about 5 mm in size at very slow speeds, so oozing and temperature control become more critical on the small parts.

-John

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies