Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jleichne

Sudden Loud Grinding Noise!!

Hey yall'

My printer used to be perfect and quiet. Real quiet. I've only had it assembled for a week and everything has been great.

Two things have happened recently:

(1) I set my printer to the bottom for the first time and the bottom Z switch didn't activate perfectly, creating an ugly grind sound for the half second it took me to turn off the machine.

(2) The timing belt pulley on the Y axis became so loose earlier that it messed up a print. I retightened it with amazing results at first. I just found it slidable again only a few hours later!

So here's the problem: Running Cura, after the initial 0-0 homing, the printer GRINDS REALLY LOUDLY moving to the first print location. It's fine afterwards noise-wise (although the prints aren't coming out right again yet).

Anyone have any ideas? I'm pretty sure item #1 up there is definitely not causing it, since any Z-translation doesn't cause the grind until the simultaneous Z and XY found in the post-homing movement in Cura.

J

it sounds like your end-switches are not triggered, because they are too far away from the sliding block. I would suggest to move the head by hand to the corner where this occurs, and listen if the switches are reliably triggered or not. if not, loosen the screws, and move them further inward until they can be triggered.

I've also been experiencing this. After the Ultimaker heats up and releases the initial puddle of material at (0,0), it moves to the center of the table to begin the part and grinds really loudly as it does so. The noise also goes away once the part starts to print.

We think it might be related to the fact that we're at the end of the spool of material and the bend in it might cause it to pull, as we just ran a new spool and didn't get the grinding sound, but we aren't sure.

Anyone else have ideas on what the issue might be?