Setting Cura to print object with extruder 1 and support with extruder 2

markfarnell

Posted · Setting Cura to print object with extruder 1 and support with extruder 2

I am running Cura 15.04.4 for OS X, and I have a Prusa Mendel i3 with dual extruder. How can I set Cura to print objects with extruder 1, and support structures with extruder 2?

The only reason I bought the dual extruder printer is to enable me to print water-soluble support structures.

Thanks!

Posted · Setting Cura to print object with extruder 1 and support with extruder 2

There is a setting called "Support dual extrusion". Set it to "second extruder"

Thanks! So in File->Machine Settings->Extruder Count, I can set the number of extruders. Then in "support dual extruder, I can set it to "second extruder". But how can I ensure the object (in the STL file) itself is only printed by the extruder 1?

Also, where can I specify the position of the second extruder relative to the first extruder? Is this in the firmware itself?

Thanks!

Mark

Thx! So once I sorted out the problems when printing with only extruder 1 (see my post in the cura section where cura prints the first layer at 20mm above the heated bed), then I will experiment on dual extrusion :)