Setting Cura to print object with extruder 1 and support with extruder 2

markfarnell

Posted · Setting Cura to print object with extruder 1 and support with extruder 2

I am running Cura 15.04.4 for OS X, and I have a Prusa Mendel i3 with dual extruder. How can I set Cura to print objects with extruder 1, and support structures with extruder 2?

The only reason I bought the dual extruder printer is to enable me to print water-soluble support structures.

Thanks!

Posted · Setting Cura to print object with extruder 1 and support with extruder 2

There is a setting called "Support dual extrusion". Set it to "second extruder"

Thanks! So in File->Machine Settings->Extruder Count, I can set the number of extruders. Then in "support dual extruder, I can set it to "second extruder". But how can I ensure the object (in the STL file) itself is only printed by the extruder 1?

Also, where can I specify the position of the second extruder relative to the first extruder? Is this in the firmware itself?

Thanks!

Mark

Thx! So once I sorted out the problems when printing with only extruder 1 (see my post in the cura section where cura prints the first layer at 20mm above the heated bed), then I will experiment on dual extrusion :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies