Cura won't recognize YKS printer

bywaters

Posted · Cura won't recognize YKS printer

I apologize if this has been answered previously but I was unable to find it in searching the forum. I purchased a YKS 3D printer as a gift for my father. He's 84 and needs something to do. He's fairly handy and assembled it just fine but tells me the Cura software won't recognize the printer. He can load an .stl file, prepare the slicing and save it as gcode. When he selects 'print', nothing happens. Is there documentation available for the proper settings for a printer that isn't an Ultimaker model? (I wish I had known more about the topic before purchasing because I would've bought one of those had I known better!)

This is the model purchased:

http://www.amazon.com/YKS-Desktop-Printer-Structure-Accuracy/dp/B0143WTZJM/ref=sr_1_11?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1455673463&sr=1-11&keywords=3d+printer

Thanks,

Ken

Posted · Cura won't recognize YKS printer

We have fairly little control as to how non Ultimaker printers behave. Almost all support in Cura for non UM stuff is built by people in the community. Because we usually don't have those machines, those bits are not tested (and although we do put the code in, we don't really see it as our responsibility to verify these things).

If it runs on Marlin it should be doable. Another option would be to see if there is a SD card controller, so you can just put the g-code on there and let the controller send the commands on the machine (which is the standard way we do it).

You could also try prontoface to stream the g-code to the printer.