Printing in the air heat migrating to filament top, could it be retraction?

Belmaciel

Posted · Printing in the air heat migrating to filament top, could it be retraction?

Hello guys,

I'm having a terrible time printing some small stuff. I've tried to print the same object four times and I begin to recognize a pattern around here.

The issue is that my print would clog approximately at the same stage in all my prints. I believe the clog is due the heat migrating to the top of the filament blocking the PTFE tube since when I remove the filament from the bowden tube It is clearly deformed, so in order to flow again I just clip the deformed part and the flow would come back nicely. So there's no nozzle clog.

What I observed is at that stage the print would travel very fast pouring material and retracting, Could this be the real issue for deforming the filament?

I'm already printing at a relative low heat 200C or Is 200C still too hot? The printing is about 2 hours only.

IMG_4559.thumb.JPG.6df99b2b1ba8360d579dcedc67143748.JPG

IMG_4560.thumb.JPG.0a6ff0d487556c1f80952c1b8aa1d04b.JPG

I'm using Cura 15.04 on Ultimaker one

my settings are:

Quality

layer height: .1 mm

Shell: .8 mm

Speed and temp:

Print speed:15mm/s

Temp: 220 (at start then I reduce to 200 after the print is well adhered to platform)

nozzle:0.4

filament: 3mm

Retraction:

Speed: 50mm/s

Distance: 5.5

please help! :)

IMG_4559.thumb.JPG.6df99b2b1ba8360d579dcedc67143748.JPG

IMG_4560.thumb.JPG.0a6ff0d487556c1f80952c1b8aa1d04b.JPG

Posted · Printing in the air heat migrating to filament top, could it be retraction?

Did you check the PTFE coupler? It is different from the UM2 but could be damaged/deformed. You could check the filament too. If the diameter changes regularly (on every loop), this would explain why it always clogs at the same spot.

Posted (edited) · Printing in the air heat migrating to filament top, could it be retraction?

You probably just have a slow jam, your prints look good. Do like a million atomic pulls and try it again. If youre worried its the pfte then just change it, but i found that the pfte is dead only when i cant do any atomic pulls.

Nozzle clogs are not so simple to see with abs btw, its always more visible with pla, as it melts at lower temps, and its the lower temps which cause the jams. I dont print 0.1 much so cant advise you on that, but another thing i would do if i wad you would be printing hollow (zero shell, as for small stuff you dont need it, just make the shell a bit thicker my default is 1.2 for everything. Its never failed me 0.8 has failed me loads and i never go below 1.2 now.

Edited by Guest