Brand new Ultimaker 2+ won't turn on

Posted · Brand new Ultimaker 2+ won't turn on

Our office just acquired an ultimaker 2+. It worked perfectly on the first day, and our test print came out fine. However, when we plugged it in the next day, none of the lights came on, and all we got was a bit of noise on the main display (I've attached an image below). There were no changes made to the printer between the two days.

The only other info I could find online was this thread. I tried removing and reconnecting all the connectors on the main board as suggested, but unfortunately that didn't work for us.

Would anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

IMG_20160401_183917.thumb.jpg.db7d23014b4fe8947708a122131b7372.jpg

IMG_20160401_183917.thumb.jpg.db7d23014b4fe8947708a122131b7372.jpg

Weird, I have the same garbled screen when I turn on the printer, but it goes away and the printer works perfectly. I assumed it was just a harmless boot-display-firmware-glitch. I think it is the same for you but after the firmware goes to the next step in the boot-up process, it hits a problem and halts.

If it is not something else externally (bad wall socket, power supply, damaged power supply cable), then maybe the board died. Where did you buy the printer?

thanks for your response,

I got the same screen the first time I switched it on too. But, like you said, it disappeared within a few seconds and worked normally.

The only thing I can think that I may have done wrong was to switch off the mains supply before switching off the device. I've checked the power supply, it seems alright. Nothing else on the board seems fried, and the green power LED lights up. In case of a firmware glitch, is there any way of re programming it to fix the problem?

I bought it from Local Makers in Amsterdam.

You can alway try to reinstall the firmware. You can do it from cura. Take the latest stable version and make sure to have the correct printer type selected in cura. Oh... and connect with the USB cable off course. ..

^That worked....Thanks! I didn't think it would be so simple, but I guess it was a stupid mistake on my part.

For anyone else who runs into this issue - I had connected my PC to the ultimaker, when a powercut occurred, so I had to switch off the ultimaker to prevent it from draining the UPS. At some point prior to this I may have started upgrading the firmware without me realizing it, and switching off the machine must have corrupted the file that was loaded. Re-uploading the firmware fixed the problem.