How much heat does an operating UM2+ generate?

Wisar

Posted · How much heat does an operating UM2+ generate?

I am air conditioning the room where my printers live and want to make sure that I account for all the heat sources including my printers! How much heat does a UM2+ generate when printing ABS (as a worst case) and PLA as the best case. When I do print ABS I have a complete enclosure for the printer. I also use the enclosure when printing co-polymers but the printer is open when printing PLA.

I read that the max power input is 221 watts. Does this translate to max heat?

Thanks in advance,

Will

You will have a thermal power of exactly 221W... ;)

Thanks. One of those cases where I was pretty sure....but.... Obviously this is a worst case. Usually I print PLA and would assume consumption would be a lot less than max.

Cheers,

Will

The 221W correspond to the ABS settings; maybe it's a few watts less as you need only one hotend (the power supply was chosen for heating the bed and two hotends). It doesn't matter if you use an enclosure or not, if you print long enough you will release the full heat into the room unless you have an additional cooling system which transfers that heat directly from the enclosure to the outside of the room.

In any case you should design the AC system accordingly to the worst case scenario if you don't want your printer dying a thermal death...

In any case you should design the AC system accordingly to the worst case scenario if you don't want your printer dying a thermal death...

I used the high number. Good point on the enclosure...it would slow things but not prevent the ultimate heat. Doop. I was less worried about the printers than my own melt down! I am heat sensitive but can leave the room...not an option for a poor printer. All this for the three hot days we get in the UK each summer. Just kidding.

It doesn't matter if you use an enclosure or not, if you print long enough you will release the full heat into the room unless you have an additional cooling system which transfers that heat directly from the enclosure to the outside of the room.

I wanted to come back to this point even though it really does not matter! Namely because there was a reason that I thought the enclosure mattered... It seems like an enclosed printer is going to make it easier for the build platform and nozzle to stay at their assigned temperature...there-by using less power and generating less heat to bleed into my man cave? The build platform more so than the nozzle of course.

Wisar

Hmm... you might save some watts due to decreased thermal losses of the heat bed. However, without having seen any simulation or measurements I expect the effect not being that large. You may test it by temporarily closing the front opening and measuring the power consumption with both setups (open front vs. closed front).

Hmm... you might save some watts due to decreased thermal losses of the heat bed. However, without having seen any simulation or measurements I expect the effect not being that large. You may test it by temporarily closing the front opening and measuring the power consumption with both setups (open front vs. closed front).

That would be a good test but for having to get at the mother board and I prefer to let sleeping boards lie. I only posted again 'cause I had remembered the thought process that got me to thinking that an enclosure would make a difference. :-o