Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
TVG3000

Solder heater cartridge to old cable

Hello,

The tip of my heater cartridge just broke for the Xth time. I have been working on this printer for quite some time (was also installing the Olsson block) and dont want to redo everything. Can I cut the tip of a new cable and solder it to the two wires of my old cable? Does the polarity matter?

5a331aeb7d195_UM2Idea.thumb.jpg.955417e3f581c6c955e494bad502ff52.jpg

Seems like a quick fix instead of trying to reach the motherboard again...

5a331aeb7d195_UM2Idea.thumb.jpg.955417e3f581c6c955e494bad502ff52.jpg

I don't understand what broke, the cartridge itself? So you want to replace it but use existing wires running along your Bowden tube and int your board?

Anyways... To answer your question, yes you can cut and solder all you want... My heater wire for instance only extends a few cm. and end in a plug (as does thermistor wire), so I can easily remove the entire hotend... Just make sure to cover your wires up nicely afterwards.

Polarity doesn't matter no.

Edited by Guest

I don't understand what broke, the cartridge itself? So you want to replace it but use existing wires running along your Bowden tube and int your board?

Anyways... To answer your question, yes you can cut and solder all you want... My heater wire for instance only extends a few cm. and end in a plug (as does thermistor wire), so I can easily remove the entire hotend... Just make sure to cover your wires up nicely afterwards.

Polarity doesn't matter no.

Yes! It broke just above het metal tip. Im thinking of cutting it where the cable consists out of 2 seperate wires. Then I am going to cut my new cable in the same spot and just solder that together instead of opening up my UM.