Supports with Cura / Simplify3d?

tyscof

Posted (edited) · Supports with Cura / Simplify3d?

Okay so I am working on a new print (Yayyy) and for this print I am using PetG which so far is some pretty interesting stuff. It is quite sticky and layer adhesion is bonkers but so far support material is basically apart of the part because of this. So anyway back to the issue I am having, this part has an overhang directly off the bed by about a quarter of an inch and is about the size of a quarter. I have never had any problems with cura support before but it doesn't seem to want to do this very well at all. The back is very rough I managed to see it when it was trying to print this part and it seemed like the print head would go over the area and there wouldn't be enough material going down to really make a line over the support material. Instead it kinda puts some down and its a bit thin, after awhile it will build up enough material and the face looks good but the first 4 or 5 layers are super rough. Which is no good when the piece is only like 8 layers deep for example. So it seems like I would want more flow over the support structure? Is there anyway to do this? I tried slowing the speed down from 50 to 15 to see how that would change anything, it printed a little better but still very rough. I even tried printing supports from the standard 15 to 50% that also helped a little but no cigar. Too bad it won't let me upload the stl on here if anyone wants to try to see if they get a better print just drop your email. Also I am using cura 15.04.5, I dont have simplify3d do you think that would result in better support/ printer commands for more flow or something? I also tried this with ABS for the same result.

Print settings:

2 speeds : 50mm/s, 15mm/s

Petg

245C

90C

100% infil

100% fan

IMG_1950.thumb.JPG.b8b096d8ec7bb280d2474743a2b5e71f.JPGIMG_1951.thumb.JPG.cce1ec85c1842604e3b39fa6afbff613.JPGIMG_1952.thumb.JPG.47b49e8b6e3fc00684f7b844b903d264.JPGIMG_1953.thumb.JPG.e77d32aede97ec3c0d57f69d8b50a3a2.JPG

IMG_1950.thumb.JPG.b8b096d8ec7bb280d2474743a2b5e71f.JPG

IMG_1951.thumb.JPG.cce1ec85c1842604e3b39fa6afbff613.JPG

IMG_1952.thumb.JPG.47b49e8b6e3fc00684f7b844b903d264.JPG

IMG_1953.thumb.JPG.e77d32aede97ec3c0d57f69d8b50a3a2.JPG

Edited by Guest