What am I doing wrong?

james1220

Posted · What am I doing wrong?

Being a super noob, I just purchased my first 3d printer (Ultimaker 2 extend +) and just went through the startup process and pushed print.  The following video is what happened.

It appears to me that the material is not getting through the nozzle very well. I'm guessing I should up the temperature or is there something wrong with the feeder?

Wondering if someone has seen this before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have two problems.

First keep your nozzle clean at any time. At the start of a print fresh filament is pushed through the nozzle. When this material winds up and touches the nozzle at the side it will bake in and you have a perfect loop. this can catch with your print at any time. Take a pair of tweezers and pull it off right at the beginning. I make sure it winds nicely around the left plate clamp before the print head moves to the print position. Keep this initial filament lump away from your print area.

Second your bed adhesion is poor. Lower the thickness of your first layer in small steps in Cura in advanced settings. If this doesn't help try the glue stick. There are many tips for better bed adhesion in this forum and they vary with the material you use.

Thank you for your inputs, all so helpful.

At first, I noticed this:

20160426_134613.thumb.jpg.d425ea18eb2e40b3a7433af558e3a67a.jpg

I followed the instructions and loosened my feeder tension to near zero. Unfortunately, this did not work as I observed the same printing problem.

With some research, i discovered that some posts have stated that it could be a blocked nozzle. So I followed the Atomic technique described in the manual. I git this:

20160426_211257.thumb.jpg.81e48d4bfdba67a7e0af6735cc51b752.jpg

Please note, the heated shape is smaller than what's is displayed in the manual. Also, it took A LOT of pressure before any material came out of the nozzle. I wonder if the wires are connected properly to produce the right temperature readings. It seems to me at 90 degrees I should see a filament, but it does not.

I re-calibrated the bed, applied glue stick to print the first PLA object and the print fails to produce any material out of the nozzle. I believe I have a bad extruder. I will be removing the assembly, tomorrow, for further inspection.

I'm wondering if I should just call 3D universe and get a new extruder or get one from Ultimaker directly? How would I do that?

20160426_134613.thumb.jpg.d425ea18eb2e40b3a7433af558e3a67a.jpg

20160426_211257.thumb.jpg.81e48d4bfdba67a7e0af6735cc51b752.jpg

For the Atomic method did you first heat up to 230°c or something like that? When you push the filament at that temperature it should come out.

Then reduce the temp to 90°c and continue pushing when it's cooling down, the filament should continue to extrude until 140°c or something. Then when 90°c is reached pull firmly on the filament.

You can do this several times until you get a clean cone-shaped atomic pull

For the Atomic method did you first heat up to 230°c or something like that? When you push the filament at that temperature it should come out.

Then reduce the temp to 90°c and continue pushing when it's cooling down, the filament should continue to extrude until 140°c or something. Then when 90°c is reached pull firmly on the filament.

You can do this several times until you get a clean cone-shaped atomic pull

I have done that and the results are in the picture

During a change material test, I noted that the temperature might not be maintained to melt the material. (PLA). It flowed, then didn't. I believe the temperature of the extruder is not maintained.

So, I got some GREAT help from fbrc8 and was directed to this article:

https://fbrc8.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/205089914-My-First-Print-Won-t-Extrude-Is-my-nozzle-clogged-

After reading the article, I got my first GREAT print.

20160428_212009.thumb.jpg.8a0ca90e42db7f2599cb8ac868454cc9.jpg

20160428_212009.thumb.jpg.8a0ca90e42db7f2599cb8ac868454cc9.jpg

• Like 1