Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
linisgre

Possible to print ABS?

I recently got a Ultimaker and have been doing some initial experiments with different materials. The results so far are mixed, with the feeding not constant and obviously my parameters are all far from being fine-tuned. Still, with the delivered PLA I could get some halfway decent results, however working with ABS the layers never stuck together very good. This was especially noticable when printing walls (of a box in this case). So that's issue 1. The second issue was warping which caused the non-sticking layers to break apart due to the tensions. A bit of googling showed that for printing ABS you really want a heated printbed at ~70°C to avoid warping.

Again, I am far from an expert and do not (yet) know a lot, but before I invest a lot of time doing experiments I wanted to ask for confirmation and advise on whether and if yes, how, I can use my Ultimaker to print with ABS?

I am not an expert with printing ABS, but I did print with ABS on a similar 3d printer. What I found out is that ABS needs to be hotter than PLA to stick to other layers. The heated bed can also be replaced with a "raft", which will give waste but you wont need a heated bed. Only need to make sure that the raft sticks to the bed. (I used an acrylic bed, but balsa seems to work too).

I never had problems with warping. I printed little shotglasses and chess pieces without problems. My rule of thumb is that the heat should be around 240-245C for ABS, and never print big or long prints.