Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jainparilesh84

Material is not passing through the nozzle

Hi,

I was printing a part and suddenly in between material is stopped coming out of nozzle.

So I aborted the print and then try to analyze the problem.

I was using the PLA material and heated up the nozzle to 260 degrees to remove any clogged filament inside the nozzle and then tried to push the another piece of filament thru the nozzle.

Now the situation is the inserted piece of filament got stuck inside the nozzle. Neither I can able to pull it up nor it is coming out of nozzle, even the nozzle temperature is at 260 degrees.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

260°C is rather high for PLA, if this happen again, you might want to stay around 220°C ish. At 260 °C PLA might start to deteriorate and possibly make your clog even worse.

Standard procedure for your average nozzle clog would be to do an "atomic", as described here: https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/149-atomic-method. Might need a couple of repetitions to help with severe clogs.

If this doesn't work, I've had good luck with heating up the nozzle and using something small enough to poke through the nozzle. Possible options: hypodermic needle (preferably a blunt one if you can get one), acupuncture needles, a micro drill bit or even the high E string of your trusted eGuitar. For a 0,4 mm nozzle, i'll usually go with a poking thing at around 0,3 - 0,35 mm in diameter

If this fails as well, I guess you could try to remove the nozzle and see if you can clean it out once you got it removed or replace with a new nozzle. Instructions on how to remove the nozzle depend on your printer model.