Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
prather

Gaps in the infill

My 5-yr old UMO is still awesome, and the prints are strong and virtually flawless, but I've noticed something with the infill.

5a331f3317aee_20160717_132227_resized(1).thumb.jpg.50318736975ed592aad91247c759fcd5.jpg

This print uses 20% infill but you can see gaps at the cross-hatch junctions. The seem to form on the far side of the line of motion, like the perpendicular wall wiped all the filament away and it takes a millisecond to re-emerge.

I'm no Guru when it comes to tweaking the settings, so there may be something to be done about that. But I think if Cura could alternate the infill direction every layer, these gaps would disappear, or at least be minimized, making the part even stronger.

Again, I remain totally impressed with Ultimaker, Cura and everything.

5a331f3317aee_20160717_132227_resized(1).thumb.jpg.50318736975ed592aad91247c759fcd5.jpg

Check the settings in Cura, if you're using 15.x in the advance tab check to see that the infill speed is NOT set significantly higher than your standard print speed. The faster speed at the normal temperature can cause underextrusion.

Cura had the default infill speed at 85 for some reason for the longest time so printing at 210C on large parts will cause problems.

Also if you want alternating layers for infill, set your infill to 25% or higher and you will get alternating parallel lines that are 2x as tight instead of squares.

Alternatively, downloading the new CURA 2.1.x, you can choose the method of infill.

Also, great to see an UMO. :D your acrylic board is superbly clean for being 5yrs old.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Thanks! I'll try that next print.

Ultimaker + Cura. I don't think it gets any easier than this. I've tried using a Leapfrog and its slicing software, and it takes FOREVER, if it finishes at all! The printer, however, seems reliable enough. One day I'll try to figure out how to get Cura to talk to it.

Edited by Guest