A Few Cura Questions for the Cura Experts

Ronan

Posted · A Few Cura Questions for the Cura Experts

If I print a thin rectangle of a height of 0.4mm, in Cura my layer height is set to 0.3mm and my initial layer thickness is set to 0.5mm, what layer height is my first layer printed at?

If i change the Initial layer line width from 100% to 125% or even 150%, what does that do exactly? Increases the flow to put more material down? Increases the nozzle width of each line by the % needed?

Does Dual extrusion Switch Amount (mm) overule the retraction settings for each extruders?

At no height. You ask it to do something that it can't possibly do. The object is 0.4 high and the first layer is 0.5.

Line width is used to print lines that are not quite the same as nozzle size. We found out that in quite a few cases printing lines of .36 with a 0.4 nozzle gave far better results. In the old Cura you only had a nozzle size, so that was often set at the 0.36. This confused a lot of people, as they thought something went wrong with the setting parsing. To resolve this, we added the line width setting. If i recall correctly it indeed increases the flow, but also the spacing between lines.

I don't know what setting you refer to by switch amount.

Alright so this explains a few 'weird' things that happened when messing with Cura.

I ended up ahving some bad first layers when it was set to 125% and 150% for the initial layer width. Basically some spaces between the lines it was putting down.