Unable to edit wiki pages after signup?

ttennebkram

Posted · Unable to edit wiki pages after signup?

I signed up for an account on the Wiki (same username as this community forum), but I don't see an "edit" button.

I realize there needs to be some controls, but wondering if this is intentional? Or maybe I'm just missing the link? This is all about "open source", and even wikipedia trusts me ;-)

The reason I'd like to edit is that I'm a new user, and I can point out things that the gurus would never think of.

Thanks,

Mark

Due to vandalism and people editing the pages thinking they where adding tips but those tips where actually wrong, we disabled editing except for ourselves. As we do not have the manpower to monitor the changes all the time, and they are our official build instructions that people expect to be right.

Feel free to post your ideas so we can see if we can incorporate them in the instructions.

I was wondering if it was something like that.

This is painfully ironic for an open source project that needs so much more doc. Brainstorming some technical ideas:

FIrst off all, preventing vandalism could be handled differently than incorrect information.

For vandalism, I'd suggest:

1: Captcha, so a human had to expend some effort to do it

2: Banishment for obvious vandalism

The combination of these two would greatly reduce the number of times it happens. Not zero, but small number.

3: Maybe moderation of first post (or first N posts)

For bad info, I'd suggest:

1: Label non-employee comments / posts as "suspect" or "unverified" or something

2: Perhaps offer editing to folks who have a good track record on the forums. Maybe ask them to have the same username on the community and wiki.

3: Beyond editing, maybe "deputize" some trusted community members.

4: Some type of peer review, like how stack overflow does it.

Of course these things are already easier said than done, and depend a lot on the software you're using. But I suspect there are some trust-able volunteers available.

Also, in terms of ideas... you guys are super busy... I've already posted about 2 wiki pages where I expected to find introductory info that wasn't there. I'm not "yelling" at you about it, because you're already overworked, but submitting ideas to you to then be copied over is inefficient and not working. Again, no offense, and it's the sort thing I wanted to help with (vs. complain about)