Optimizing Fused Filament Fabrication 3D printing for durability

rigs

Posted · Optimizing Fused Filament Fabrication 3D printing for durability

This projects data and results will be free and open for everyone to use and be presented in the fairest possible manner. Johan Kristensson, area manager at the Swedish engineering consulting company Semcon writes “Open development is the way forward. By being open for impressions and interact with your surroundings you will be a part of a dynamic environment. You give and take.” [11]. The 3D printing community have achieved a great deal by having this open source philosophy. Having the data and measurements free is the natural way to go.

Optimizing Fused Filament Fabrication 3D printing for durability

• Like 3

Thank you for sharing my work.

If there is any questions please reply here or send an email, fransjohansson.92@gmail.com.

Have fun optimizing for durability!

• Like 1

Very cool, this reminds me of an article I was reading from back in early RepRap days about a professor looking at fiber reinforced prints but using long strands of fiber that were placed in the model between layers. The results were quite inconclusive at the time but it lead to many other areas of research and now machines that automate that process.

While it would be very difficult I could see a sort of FEA built into a slicer that would be very advantageous and make the end user experience improved when looking at durability of a part. But with information like this, something basic could potentially be implemented into either a slicer or something within CAD or even if it were a step between CAD and slicer.

@Frans thank for this excellent work :)

There are many studies on the properties of materials / optimising of parameters and I think now we need to take the next step " optimising of diffusion/reptation ".

Layer bonding is determined by molecular structure, molecular weight, chemical structure of the polymer and of course, time, temperature and pressure ( DeGennes ) .

What's the best filament, parameters to optimise the diffusion of chains ?

Hot chamber ( under pressure ) IR radiations or convection ?

Many questions...

• Like 1

Very cool, this reminds me of an article I was reading from back in early RepRap days about a professor looking at fiber reinforced prints but using long strands of fiber that were placed in the model between layers.  The results were quite inconclusive at the time but it lead to many other areas of research and now machines that automate that process.

While it would be very difficult I could see a sort of FEA built into a slicer that would be very advantageous and make the end user experience improved when looking at durability of a part.   But with information like this, something basic could potentially be implemented into either a slicer or something within CAD or even if it were a step between CAD and slicer.

That is a very interesting idea, I've had similar thoughts about how to combine FEM, data of which parameters affecting strength with slicing software. Maybe it is time for the next phase in the duraprint project... ;)

@Frans thank for this excellent work :)

There are many studies on the properties of materials / optimising of parameters and I think now we need to take the next step " optimising of diffusion/reptation ".

Layer bonding is determined by molecular structure, molecular weight, chemical structure of the polymer and of course, time, temperature and pressure ( DeGennes ) .

What's the best filament, parameters to optimise the diffusion of chains ?

Hot chamber ( under pressure ) IR radiations or convection ?

Many questions...

Definitely!