eSUN HIPS 3mm filament printing with 0.8 mm nozzle on UM2+

Model

Posted (edited) · eSUN HIPS 3mm filament printing with 0.8 mm nozzle on UM2+

Hi guys,

I bought an UM2+ to make a robust and temperature resistant (min. 80 °C) case for a project. Since I am a complete newbie to 3D printing I started with the PLA filament which came along but it is of course a bad choice for the mentioned requirements.

So I chose HIPS because a friend who uses the Zortrax M200 recommended it to me. He used eSUN HIPS but with 1.75 mm diameter. Now I also bought eSUN HIPS but with 3 mm diameter. I measured 2.85..2.9 mm and left the value in the material.txt at 2.85 mm. Since I need to increase the print speed I changed the nozzle to 0.8 mm.

Now I am figuring several problems. When the bed temp is at 80 °C the filament doesn't stick to the bed anymore and comes off after the 2nd layer is printed. At 100 °C bed temp the print sticks to the bed but the area where support structure is placed comes off.

363fba-1473803401.jpg

With 235 °C and turned on fans I am having the problem that the adhesion between the upper layers is very bad and I can peel off single layers or larger parts of the print.

ac90a8-1473803432.jpg

At 250..260 °C nozzle temp I get sometimes "scratches" on plane surfaces.

In any case so far I am having the problem that the edges of the print will upend.

51ba74-1473803539.jpg

Another problem is that the lines are not placed directly adjacent to one another. There is a gap between them. What I found online so far, it looks like it is underextruded. But when I set the nozzle size in Cura to 0.4 mm it is perfectly fine.

When I print with 0.8 mm or 0.6 mm nozzle settings from Cura I also get more often "bubble" lines, like a bubble of material is coming from the nozzle.

4e615a-1473803249.jpg

Here are 2 photos (top and bottom) of an example which I started with 0.8 mm nozzle settings in Cura.

719cd2-1473803733.jpg

654bbe-1473803755.jpg

If anyone can help, I would be so grateful because it's killing my nerves and the Ultimaker is rather a Troublemaker to me now. Also the weather is currently very hot in Germany, I don't think that the temperature of the air is too low. I read in forums that HIPS needs to stay in a warm atmosphere. But I doubt that it is too cold at the moment.

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · eSUN HIPS 3mm filament printing with 0.8 mm nozzle on UM2+

Is it ok, if I post this topic in the German section, too? I have the feeling that the participation there is higher...

Edited by Guest