Failed print due bad filament?

Bjorn6

Posted · Failed print due bad filament?

Hello,

I am an owner of an UM2+ extended since 2 weeks. Last night I had a failed print and made the following assumption: Picture 1 + Picture 2 = underextrusion due clogged extruder?

5a33219344d95_Picture1.thumb.JPG.208764617be47bf6c1bf24ed35bbf2c0.JPG5a3321923a4d4_Picture2.thumb.JPG.39544ac9d8196792bd8296f6227b36b8.JPG

Could this be because of a bad spool of filament or just bad quality? I used ICE filament PLA Romantic red.

Temp: 195

Bed: 60

Yesterday I also did an atomic clean and the filament "splattered" out of the nozzle after some pressure. Is this normal?:

IMG_2347.thumb.JPG.d25a49b9d99d50eac9c869c66b502534.JPG

Thanks for your answer!

5a33219344d95_Picture1.thumb.JPG.208764617be47bf6c1bf24ed35bbf2c0.JPG

5a3321923a4d4_Picture2.thumb.JPG.39544ac9d8196792bd8296f6227b36b8.JPG

IMG_2347.thumb.JPG.d25a49b9d99d50eac9c869c66b502534.JPG

Hi @Bjorn6,

Welcome to the forums!

Sorry to hear you were having any difficulties with your Ultimaker 2+

I also notice you have the USB cable connected. Were you just updating firmware?

There is no need to keep it plugged in if you are not updating your firmware.

What happened is that your filament started to grind, that is the dust you also see on your table. The reason could be a variety of things. For example, the tension was to tight, or maybe too loose. Maybe the diameter of the filament was inconsistent, and that caused difficulties or maybe there was something in the filament that didn't melt properly.

It could also be that, for an unidentified reason, that your nozzle got clogged.

But because it splashed around when pushing new filament in, the latter doesn't sound likely.

My first guess would be that it was something in the filament. I would recommend to clean your feeder, cut off the last 70cm of your filament (length of your bowden tube), feed it again and give it another try.

Maybe it was just a bad piece. If it happens again I would recommend to try a different role of filament, preferably from a different manufacturer to determine if that changes the behaviour.

Good luck!

Hi Sander,

Thanks for your fast reply. I cleaned the feeder and tried another role of filament. Everything works fine now. In my failed print, there were also a lot (!) of retractions, maybe this had something to do with it..

Thanks for the USB remark :)