Does Cura 2.3 support single-layer thin walls?

KDeus

Posted · Does Cura 2.3 support single-layer thin walls?

I've created a model with its own custom supports, and I created the support walls to be a single layer wide (ie. just over 0.4mm, for a 0.4mm nozzle). But when I print this using Cura 15.04.6, the support walls are printed in two passes, so they're 2 layers wide (0.8mm).

Is the same true of Cura 2? Or does Cura 2 support single-width walls?

Posted (edited) · Does Cura 2.3 support single-layer thin walls?

Are you sure its not just making a single print pass and then a travel pass over it?

Have you check the Layer view in Cura to see if it is a single wall or not?

Do you have any calipers to put on the wall to see exactly how thick it is?

Cura 15.04.4

5a3322fd3be90_SingleWall15.thumb.png.ba4e65e5d5fad5df609c7cdb81ada34e.png

[/br]

Cura 2.3 (Release)

5a3322fcd0d22_SingleWall.thumb.png.6d988d0ee54bb4aa706d6ff98e0f3167.png

I've printed single wall items in both versions of Cura and not seen what you are experiencing. Perhaps there is a setting that's not right.

5a3322fd3be90_SingleWall15.thumb.png.ba4e65e5d5fad5df609c7cdb81ada34e.png

5a3322fcd0d22_SingleWall.thumb.png.6d988d0ee54bb4aa706d6ff98e0f3167.png

Edited by Guest

It's definitely not just a single pass + travel pass. My calipers measure the support walls to be 0.8 to 0.9mm.

I've imported a test model into Cura 15.04.6. Here's the result (and you can see the original model from Fusion 360 in the background):

Cura15_Width_Test.png

The widths in the original model are 0.21mm, 0.41mm, 0.61mm, 0.81mm, 1.01mm.

Here's the result from printing the model. It's a little hard to tell from the picture, but you can see it printed 2 lines side by side, even on the thinnest part:

PrintedTest.jpg

The thinnest part of the model that printed is between 0.8 and 0.9mm:

ThinMeasurement.jpg

This is the profile I'm using: TestPrintSettings.ini

Just to follow up, I installed Cura 2.3, imported the same model, and printed it. The thinnest wall on the new print appears to be a single pass. The measured width is more like 0.5 - 0.6mm, which is hopefully small enough that the supports can be pulled away easily.