Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
armstrom

Small issue/suggestion.

I tried to slice and print a large part today. It only fits on the bed diagonally. However, when I imported the file cura kept the orientation the same as it is in the STL file but decided to automatically scale the part to fit on the bed. While I understand why this might be helpful it cost me several hours in print time :( today. I was printing this part for someone else so I didn't know that it wouldn't fit on the bed fully. So I got a 0.86x scaled version of the part :(. A quick "fix" for this situation would be to simply notify the user that the part has been automatically scaled. Perhaps a better solution would be to just do a quick calculation to see if any rotation about the Z axis would allow the part to fit on the bed and apply that rotation.

I do have to say that other than this minor issue I've become a major fan of Cura and it has made my Ultimaker experience very positive.

-Matt