Printing using 2 materials

pablo0515

Posted (edited) · Printing using 2 materials

Hello,

I'm printing a model using the UM3 using PLA and support material PVA. Printing time 9hrs.

If I look close, I see the PVA is all around the model. Way to much ... Only some places are important for the model to get support.

How can I fix this? My idea was to design the model AND the support material and make it a dual material printjob.

- I don't know if that sounds smart (are there easier alternatives?)

- How to do 2 material printing?

The way I was approaching this is to create several separate models. The model it self, and for each support part some sub model. Make separate stl files for each and merge the models inside cura.

The problem I run into is that cura merges the objects center-center ... For one part that is OK, but for another part I'd need an offset in y direction.

Can this be done? Is this the way to optimize the printing?

Or could I simply design one model in say 2 layers, and assign a material to each layer? Which sounds much more efficient, but I wouldn't know how to do that.

Any help would be appreciated!!

BTW: I'm using UM3, Rhino, Cura 2.3

Edited by Guest

Posted (edited) · Printing using 2 materials

Anyways, I think I figured it out.

I was going wrong when I merged support model 1 with the main model, and in a following step I merged support model 2 with the new main model.

When I select all support models including the main model at once, it works seemless.

PrintTime: 5h33 ... yeah!

Edited by Guest