Polymer Feeder (a/k/a I Screwed Up)

marc-guggenheim

Posted · Polymer Feeder (a/k/a I Screwed Up)

My polymer feeder (I don't know what else to call it) was clogged with a small piece of broken filament. I unscrewed the housing and cleared out the jam, but now I can't reattach the feeder. I can't get the screws to line up with the metallic driver that sits beneath the outer housing of the printer.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Image: CyOxgvCUoAAuR39.jpg

Posted (edited) · Polymer Feeder (a/k/a I Screwed Up)

The black piece that is attached to the printer,Take it off and assemble it with the piece you have to the left of the picture. (Basically you want this all assembled). Now as 1 piece put the screws through the holes and attach it to the stepper motor. It will make it a whole lot easier if you take the white metal cover that covers the stepper motor so you can align the screws better.

Edit: after looking at the pieces I believe you put the parts in the wrong case. Try putting them in the case that is currently connected to the printer.

IMG_5788.thumb.jpg.286e8796081d2334d655f24896025b71.jpg

IMG_5788.thumb.jpg.286e8796081d2334d655f24896025b71.jpg

Edited by Guest

It also looks like the cable cover is still on. You might have a little more luck with screwing it all back together if you remove the cable cover so you can get at the motor more easily. It's held on by 1 screw below the feeder motor on the back panel, and one screw below the X motor on the left panel. The screws are identified here on the screw diagram as the Left Cover screws: https://fbrc8.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206579613-Where-Is-the-Screw-I-Need-UM2-and-UM2-Extended-

Okay, so it seems like the best way for me to reassemble everything is to take off the rear cover entirely and then attach the feeder casing to the motor.

Question: What screws do I remove in order to take off the rear cover? (I don't want to get into a similar situation by detaching something else I can't put back together!)

Thanks!

Hi, Marc,

To remove the white, L-shaped metal cover from the back corner, you want to remove the screw on the back panel below the feeder that's visible in your picture, and the screw on the left panel below the X-motor.

5a332432b96ad_backpanelscrews.thumb.png.6a5833dead09284aa3953d9c0ffc9c8d.png5a332433d7af1_leftpanelscrews.thumb.png.9589dccc819bc2c15a8e1c532d653de3.png

They're identified in the photos as the Left Cover screws. Depending on how old your printer is, you may only have 1 of these 2 screws; the early UM2s only had 1 screw holding each cable cover in place. The design was later changed to 2.

Okay, so it seems like the best way for me to reassemble everything is to take off the rear cover entirely and then attach the feeder casing to the motor.  

Question:  What screws do I remove in order to take off the rear cover?  (I don't want to get into a similar situation by detaching something else I can't put back together!)

Thanks!

5a332432b96ad_backpanelscrews.thumb.png.6a5833dead09284aa3953d9c0ffc9c8d.png

5a332433d7af1_leftpanelscrews.thumb.png.9589dccc819bc2c15a8e1c532d653de3.png