Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
memory556

Finishing an UM Nylon print suggestions?

Hey guys!

So I'm 12 hours (~71 hours total) away from finishing all the pieces for my full size Grenade Face helmet. And I've been trying to figure something out. I'm printing the faceplate out of UM nylon and am trying to figure out the best way to smooth it out and finish it and prep it for paint. Would acetone work? Any other ideas?

For painting, I normal use a filler primer and then use bondo where needed, more primer, and then finish with paints, weathering, and clear coat. Would this process still work for painting?

Thanks guys!

P.S. Not sure why this was posted in the "other materials" section. lol

Nylon is known for being very difficult to glue and paint. You will definitely need a chemical activator. This makes the surface chemically active and able to chemically bind to other stuff like glue and paint. Otherwise, it won't work.

(Nylon can be colored in the mass by soaking it in colored water, but that is probably not what you want here.)

I have no idea where to find activators, or which brands. I think you would best contact service-engineers of big nylon suppliers, like BASF or Bayer. Or search their sites for info. These big companies do deliver nylon pellets to all plastic parts manufacturers and injection moulders, so they are most likely to know.