How do I fix Plugged Cooling Fins?

RobCole

Posted · How do I fix Plugged Cooling Fins?

I started a print yesterday before I left work and then checked on the printer from home. I watched through the first two layers before I left, but when I got home, the glass was empty and all of the plastic was around the nozzle (or so I thought). When I got back to the printer today, this is what I found (the assembly has been unscrewed and lowered a bit so I could get a better picture):

Cooling_Plugged.thumb.jpg.cb3dde21a2a16a1cab2b65c002e78649.jpg

The PLA plastic had wrapped around and into the cooling fins. With all that plastic in the cooling fins (and the wiring), how do I clean it out? I hope we do not need to replace the extruder.

Background: I have printed the same item twice before and cleaned the glass with alcohol before each print. I'm not looking for advice on adhesion, just how to get back to being able to print.

Cooling_Plugged.thumb.jpg.cb3dde21a2a16a1cab2b65c002e78649.jpg

Posted · How do I fix Plugged Cooling Fins?

Okay. I got it fixed, but that tutorial did not help.

I had to heat it up, remove the nozzle and the fan assembly. The plastic had completely surrounded the extruder both above and below. At temperature (200C), I was able to carefully pry the plastic out (being very careful of the wires). The dental tools I have were very handy for this.UM2_Nozzle_Plastic.thumb.jpg.50385023addbc5e330cb26c7de3c293c.jpg

UM2_Nozzle_Plastic.thumb.jpg.50385023addbc5e330cb26c7de3c293c.jpg