UM3X door and ventilated hood causing PVA core BB to overheat?

dotyman

Posted · UM3X door and ventilated hood causing PVA core BB to overheat?

Hi all,

I am new to 3D printing, and to the UM3X. Nonetheless, I've noted that it is generally recommended to use a front door and top cover/hood on the printer when printing ABS in order to prevent warping and delamination. Apparently the door/hood combo creates a more stable (higher) build chamber temperature in order to keep the ABS from cooling too fast.

With this is mind, I built a door and a fan-ventilated hood for the printer. The hood is part of an enclosure that also covers the back of the printer and print spools to shade them from UV light. I have left about 3/4 inch of clearance between the top of the printer and the hood in order to allow air intake. I have also added a fan control that allows me to control the vent fan speed and an air temperature thermometer that displays the temperature inside the build chamber.

Unfortunately, I keep getting an ER13 "Max Temperature" error on the PVA BB core when I print long prints. Sometimes the error occurs after an hour or so, and sometimes it occurs after about 10-20 hours of printing. And, each time this occurs I have to cycle the printer off/on and abort the print job which is wasting lots of time and material.

I've tried keeping the build chamber temperature between 40-45 ℃, as suggested in the Ultimaker website's description of the UM2 door option information. However, this has not prevented the print core error.

Has anyone else that uses a door and/or hood to keep the build chamber warm run into this problem? If so, did you come up with a solution?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to be able to make reliable and true ABS parts.

Thanks!

dotyman

Posted · UM3X door and ventilated hood causing PVA core BB to overheat?

I think this error is not caused by your hotter build chamber. Is your cartridge inserted properly (did it click?). Do you see anything out of the ordinary on the wiring of this cartridge?

Have you tried the same print without the hood and the door? that would rule out the influence of the higher temperature.

You may also try to print a dual color print with 2 AA cores (so leave out the BB core). if your problem disappears, try the BB core again. If it then reappears, your BB core is very suspicious, and I think you need to contact your reseller.