Cura 2.4beta - Center bed (set x/y offsets)

Boggy22

Posted · Cura 2.4beta - Center bed (set x/y offsets)

Hi guys,

How can I center the print on the bed, and be sure the nozzle won't go over the edge? Right now the parts that are close to the right edge (X axis) risk being printed outside the bed.

Or more simply put, I want to tell the printer to move its printing area 1cm to the left.

Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I didn't receive any reply notification.

The printer is a Prusa i3 (Acrylic frame), with a 220x220 aluminum bed.

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.4beta - Center bed (set x/y offsets)

I re-read your original post and am now confused. What I wrote below may not apply.

Where is the home position on your printer - as you are looking at the printer while standing in front of it? Is it on your left and close to you (the print bed is pushed all the way back), or somewhere else? If it's somewhere else, then what I wrote below probably doesn't apply. Let me know. Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. I think what you have then is a printer where the nozzle is not over the print bed when in its 'home' position. The home position is taken as [0x,0y,0z] in virtually all slicing software and is assumed to be at the left-front corner of the print bed (on non-delta printers).

Since 'home' on your printer is not over the print bed, everything gets shifted to the left (and possibly front) and can run off the edge.

There are two ways to fix this:

1) Re-flash you printer's firmware to reset Home to negative values for x & y so that 0,0 is on the print bed. Not for the faint of heart.

2) Modify the Start Gcode in your printer's profile in Cura to reset the position of x=0 and y=0. This is a lot easier, so I outline that here:

Go to Preferences -> Configure Cura -> Printers -> Machine Settings

Look for these lines in the Start Gcode box:

G28 X0 Y0               ;move to the X/Y origin (Home)G28 Z0                  ;move to the Z origin (Home)G1 Z15.0 F1200          ;move Z to position 15.0 mm

You may not have that last line (G1 Z15.0 F1200). If not insert it after the G28 Z0.

Now add these lines after the G1 Z15.0 F1200 line:

G0 X25 Y30 ; Move print head to edge of print bedG92 X0 Y0 Z15 ; Set current location as new 0, 0

Change the X and Y values in the G0 command to the distance in Millimeters that will place your print head nozzle over the print bead in the left-front corner of the printable area of the bed. You can use a tape measure or calipers to estimate this value and fine tune it later.

That's it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Guest

Thanks, the second option worked well! Actually, I found it earlier in this topic: https://ultimaker.com/en/community/19190-xy-start-print-offset-setting-in-cura

And it works! Strange thing, in Cura 2.4 there are different offsets, for example, in Cura 2.6.1 that I'm using now I noticed the print area is higher mostly (top of the bed, Y axis).

Anyway, the correction worked for me, I'm using this GCode, with only the bold line added.

G21 ;metric values

G90 ;absolute positioning

M82 ;set extruder to absolute mode

M107 ;start with the fan off

G28 X0 Y0 ;move X/Y to min endstops

G28 Z0 ;move Z to min endstops

G1 Z15.0 F9000 ;move the platform down 15mm

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length

G92 X5 Y18 Z15 ;Set this position as the new X/Y zero

G1 F200 E3 ;extrude 4mm of feed stock

G92 E0 ;zero the extruded length again

G1 F9000