Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sign in to follow this  
tomnagel

Where is (error) log stored during printing?

Every now and then my printer stops printing when I switch on a halogen lamp on my desk. I got myself a new power supply, and thought the problems would be over (hypothesis was that some voltage dip on the mains power caused this), but they are not.

Anyway, the strange thing is that Cura/printrun does not notice this. It still says Machine state: printing. Only when I switch off the printer, it notices somethink is wrong, and the "error log" button appears.

I was wondering: where is this error log file stored during normal printing? Is it kept in memory? I cannot find any *.log files in the Cura folders.

I'd like to look at this log, maybe I can learn something from it.

It's kept in memory, but you won't see anything in it for this error. It's EMF causing a glitch on the Arduino. Especially the windows drivers handle this very bad and can just hang.

Switching on a halogen lamp causes a current spike, which causes quite an EMF pulse, which acts on the wires and electronics of the Ultimaker. What you need is extra shielding.

>Knowing that the windows drivers handle this badly, is there no workaround for this? I mean, the host software must notice that something is wrong?

The issue here is that I request data from the driver with a timeout (of 2 seconds). But when the glitch happens, the timeout also never happens, so I never get control back.

(And yes, proper electronics is something that is being worked on)