Cura 2.3 machine_disallowed_areas stops any slicing with dual extruders and where has "preSwitchExtruder" gocode gone?

Dagnall

Posted · Cura 2.3 machine_disallowed_areas stops any slicing with dual extruders and where has "preSwitchExtruder" gocode gone?

I am trying to move to 2.3.. but....

I have added a very small triangular "machine_disallowed_areas" to my dual extruder printer's .def.json. Now it will not slice at all.

Removing the lines that I added :

"machine_disallowed_areas": {           "default_value": [               [[-34,  -85], [ -85,  -85], [-70,  -70]]]}

makes it print again, so it is just this disallowed area that is stopping the slicing for some reason.

With a single extruder printer, the machines_disallowed_areas seems to work fine and I can slice.

This looks like a bug to me.. Can it be fixed, or is there something else going on?

Second question: where are the "preSwitchExtruder" and postSwitchExtruder" G codes ?? I need these to do some extruder purging when switching extruders... I am sure you must have kept them somewhere, but I cannot find them.

Thanks for the otherwise awesome software!.

Dagnall

Posted · Cura 2.3 machine_disallowed_areas stops any slicing with dual extruders and where has "preSwitchExtruder" gocode gone?

Disallow areas apply to both extruders whether they are being used or not. So even if the model is only being printed with one extruder, if the second one might move into the disallow area, I'm betting Cura won't allow it.

This also would apply to any brim/skirt, raft for the model.

Move the model farther away from the disallow area and see if it allows it to be sliced.

I tried slicing a tiny part and placing it well away from the disallowed area!

But it still did not slice. To test, I modified the standard Ultimaker original dual extrusion JSON with just these changes:

"platform": "kossel_platform.stl",

(so I can visually see that the machine JSON is different from the original..

"machine_center_is_zero": {           "default_value": true

.. Because my machine is center = zero..

},"machine_disallowed_areas": {           "default_value": [               [[-34,  -85], [ -85,  -85], [-70,  -70]]]}

.. the test for disallowed areas..

With just these changes, it refuses to slice:

SO, I remove the Disallowed area, and restarted and - providing I have the prime tower suitably placed see later...., I can slice...

What I noticed however is that "red" box showing the prime tower placement ( or the small grey shadow it leaves) is NOT where the final slicing places the box.. I assume that this because there are faults in the program that do not take account of the "center is zero" switch.

When modifying the tower position, it looks like the "red" ( or greyed box) position that shows the prime tower when you adjust the position is showing in the lower left printbed quadrant, (where 0,0 would be if not center=zero) but when slicing, is properly placed in the top right quadrant.

You can see in the image that the prime tower is top right, but the "shadow" of the "prime tower location" is down in the left bottom quadrant at 60 x, 40 y.

As confirmation, I tried to set negative values in the prime tower positions, and the code refuses to accept them, making the data entry box red.. Thiis is definitely a fault as far as Center=zero is concerned.

I suspect that the disallowed area problem is also related to this issue as my test disallowed areas are negative (so should show in bottom left?) .. but actually result in a greyed area in the top left.. Interestingly, if I use the full set of disallowed areas that produces a near circle, they seem to be "correctly placed, but I strongly suspect that the code is misinterpreting the Y axis for disallowed areas and Center = zero , and that this is the root cause of the refusing to slice.

5a3327674baf5_primetower.thumb.jpg.6af00d4d51f0843ab31cb05e3e85b8f7.jpg

5a3327674baf5_primetower.thumb.jpg.6af00d4d51f0843ab31cb05e3e85b8f7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...