UM3 power source for modification

Posted (edited) · UM3 power source for modification

Hi there!

I've been thinking about air filter for my UM3 and have an idea. I already designed magnetic doors so any air leaks will happen at the top of the printer and thats where I'd like to place 2 small (40x40mm) and 2 larger (120x120mm) 12v fans to make air move.

My question is if there is a place in printers hardware from where I can take some power? Maybe from LED lights? I've read that there are 4 connectors for them but only 2 are being used so another 2 are avalible. Since they are 12V i guess it will work, but what do You guys think? How about NFC plug from spool holder?

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
    Posted · UM3 power source for modification

The UM3 has 24V.

24V could be pulled from the FAN connector all the way on the side of the board, this is an "always on" connection. A different place to get 24V from would be the 2 pin LED connector. This is off by default, and can be switched on with M42 S255 from GCode.

Note that the UM3 is stretching the limits of the power supply. If you are planning to use more then 10W, you will have to use a different power supply. And I recommend unplugging the case lighting to save some power there.

If you use too much power, the printer will seem to restart. But the LED on the power supply will go off when this happens. That is a way to see you are using too much power.

We are so stretching for power, that we are regulating the amount of power to the bed by the temperature of the bed, and estimating how much the hotends are using. All to prevent the powersupply from switching off.

The NFC connector only has 5V.

• 3 weeks later...