Cura 2.4 vs Simplify3d

The3DPrintStudio

Posted · Cura 2.4 vs Simplify3d

I am thinking about getting an ultimaker 3, and I currently use Simplify3d for my prusa i3 mk2. For those who have used both slicer, what do you think is the best between the two. I would go right for S3D but I am currently getting an error when downloading new config files.

If you are used to S3D then stick with it

I have both but i'm more used to Cura and i like Cura more, but to me they now are almost as good, i agree that S3D was way better some months ago. Now it's closer. The ability to setup processes is a nice plus in S3D.

It all depends on what you're looking for in a Slicer.

S3D gives you factory files, multiple processes by layer and/or object, direct printer control, custom support placement, and absolute tool head tracking in preview mode.

Cura gives you fine detailed control over very many printing properties, like jerk, acceleration, speeds, etc. - most on a object by object basis. Its more flexible in setting up new printers and properties and its open to adding new functionality via plugins.

Cura is open source and frequently updated.

S3D is proprietary and not updated as quickly.

I have both. I love them both. But for different reasons. The gaps between them are closing and it will be interesting to see where they end up by the end of this year.

• Like 1

Sounds good. Maybe I'll give Cura a try. I have S3D but it won't download new profiles and it's been over two weeks with no response from support so I haven't been able to get the UM3 profile. If they are fairly similar in results it may not be with the hassle to get them to get it working.