Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
_cacomistle_

Ultimaker 2 constantly stops printing at random points

I have recently upgraded my UM2 with E3D V6 lite (I didn't buy the V6 upgrade kit from E3D because I print with 1.75mm filament) hotend and extruders. After this modification it reliably stops printing without giving any error on the LCD display.

Usually it would stop after a few successful, high quality first layers. But occasionally it fails before even completing the brim, or in some rare cases it stops after printing 50 layers. However, it never managed to finish even one print without failing. I can be sure that the G-code file used is not corrupted, because the same file was successfully printed before the upgrade, and because if the file was corrupted it should always stop at the same point.

I tried multiple versions of firmware, including the official Ultimaker2Marlin (15.04.6-RC2, 15.04.6 and 15.04.5), the E3DUltimaker (code from Github, and the provided hex file).

Any suggestions? I'd really like to keep this setup, if it works.

Have you tried a new SD card, or at least cleaned the contacts (blown out with compressed air)? This seems the most logical cause to me.

Else, try if all electrical connections on all boards are still okay, not loose. Also those of the mains power supply. Wiggle them.

Or maybe spikes in your 230V supply? Flikkering of lamps, motors nearby switching on or off?

Electrostatic discharge could also cause stops: I have had that a few times in freezing cold weather: I got shocks whenever I touched anything: doors, lamps, iron tables, lift, just about anything... Also when touching the printer, and then it hung up, so I had to switch it off and on again.