Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
smartavionics

Mesh selection is a pain, it needs to be improved!

Hi,

I am trying out using meshes to define an area of support that is required inside a print. I don't want to just enable support on everything because there are regions inside the model that should not get support added. So, I have enabled support and added two meshes, a large one that surrounds the entire model to suppress the automatically generated support and a smaller mesh that defines the region inside the model where I would like support generating. You can see the two meshes in this picture and the resulting support.

Screenshot_2017-04-17_09-08-21.png?raw=1

How can I select the inner mesh if I want to move/resize/etc. it? Are there keys defined to cycle through the meshes? At the moment, I have to move the big mesh out of the way before I can alter the little mesh. It's a pain. As well as keys to cycle through the meshes, I think it would also be good to have the all the meshes listed in a menu so that you can quickly select one.

Actually, having to have the big mesh at all to suppress the normal support is really a pain as well. Would it be a good idea to have an option that you can set on a mesh that suppresses the normal support so that support is only generated where you add a support mesh?

Cheers,

Mark