Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
sgali

Easier reuse settings from existing G-Code

Even though it is possible to import a profile from a previously generated gcode file, the way how to do it is cumbersome. Consider the following workflow:

1. Load STL-version1.0
  2. Apply profile "normal"
  3. Customize settings for the specific STL
  4. Export to gcode
  5. At a later time, assuming you printed other objects (read: changed settings), you edit CAD and create STL-version1.1
  6. Now you have two choices:
    • Go to step 2 and redo custom settings
    • Import profile from gcode_version1.0 and apply it

While the first option is usually not the fast way, the second might be the right one. BUT I don't want to have a profile imported for every part I reiterate through my design process. And since 3D printing is a lot about prototyping, there must be an easier way to re-apply print settings without clogging up the profile list. So here is a list of possible solutions:

1. Drag and drop previously Cura-generated gcode to Cura: Ask if contained config should be applied to current objects (or even better / overkill (?): present a checkboxed list to select to which object(s) the settings should be applied)
    Right now, on DnD a gcode file results in an error msg. What a waste in terms of useability
  2. Add a button labeled "Load from gcode" next to the profile dropdown.

Long story short: Alongside the import functionality, one should also be capacitated to just load settings and thus keep the list of profiles nice and tidy! From a programmers point of view, most of the functionality (retrieve settings from gcode, apply them) is already there, what's missing is the right implementation in the GUI aka DnD and / or button.

Cura 2.5 ROCKS by the way. Love the new "Layer view mode" and also searching in settings is super handy. Amongst the tons of other things I like about the software. Outstanding job!

Cheers

Claude

Edited by Guest