Problem with X-axis end-switch

m-wakileh

Posted · Problem with X-axis end-switch

Hi,

I recently finished the assembly of my Ultimaker, and ran into an issue testing the right x-axis end-switch, which doesn't stop travel in the Replicator G control panel.

All other switches are working as they should.

I have tested the endswitch (via resistance) using a multimeter and also the connection to the jack on the ultimaker board (v.1.5.4).

The switch works fine so the issue must be on the Ultimaker- or the Arduino- board it came with.

( I will install eagle-cad later today and see what I can come up with after looking at the board files. Unfortunately I have no Arduino experience, so I wouldn't know how to quickly troubleshoot that board.)

I welcome any suggestions for further analysis/repair.

regards,

Michael Wakileh

If you swap the end-switches around (begin to end/end to begin) does the problem move with it? I expect it will because you measured the switch. But it's always good to be sure. Could also be a cable problem, which can be annoying because it works sometimes and fails other times.

Sadly, there have also been reports of bad soldering. The end-stops are straight from the connector to the Arduino, so there are only a few pins you need to check. If you have a soldering iron, just disconnect all electronics, remove the arduino (so you don't damage it), and heat up those pins so the solder reflows. (You can add a tiny bit more solder to make the flowing easy)

You'll need to solder the connector in which you plug the endstop, and large dual row of pins in which the Arduino is socked. Those are the pins that are needed for the endstop to function.

See:

http://daid.eu/~daid/UltimakerPCB ... totype.JPG

Thanks for the hint on bad soldering... Indeed the Ultimaker PCB was damaged during production. A solderpad had been ripped off the PCB (forcefull adjustment of a badly soldered through hole component)... Naturally resoldering didn't work so I ran a seperate wire after looking at the board files.

regards,

Michael Wakielh

Good to know you fixed it. To bad that there is a bad PCB every once in a while. (PCB testing is expensive, so they might have cut a few corners there...)

Also, fancy paint job!

=) Yes, I'm quite happy with the silver + blue metallic paintjob. It really took a lot of patience not starting with the build right away! I also used the supplied LED strip to add internal platform lighting to the acrylic print bed. (got the idea from those diffuse illumination/frustrated total internal reflection touch screens). Unfortunately I wasn't as patient when it came to building the extruder. As I didn't have appropriate PTFE sealant tape, I used high temperature kapton tape instead. I suppose thats whats causing the plastic leak / extruder jam issue. Can anyone point me to instructions for disassembly / servicing of the extruder?- I do have the appropriate tape now.

regards,

Mike

I had the same problem with x-axis not stopping after reaching the limit switch. Switching the cables for +x and -x at the board did the job. Thanks for the hint!

I had the same problem with x-axis not stopping after reaching the limit switch. Switching the cables for +x and -x at the board did the job. Thanks for the hint!

Had to switch mine too. The laser markings on the bottom panel for those limit switches are wrong.