Using the UM3 as PostScript printer? Oo

picaschaf

Posted · Using the UM3 as PostScript printer? Oo

Hi,

Today I was setting up our new office printer (that classic 2D one ;)) and when I was in the setup dialog I found our Ultimaker 3 Extended offering itself as PostScript printer via Bonjour (ZeroConf). As there is currently a long running print I was too afraid to just add and test it. Does anyone know something about this? Is it a feature, and what does it do?

Best regards,

Alexander

5a3339fcd7f9d_Bildschirmfoto2017-05-01um11_03_25.thumb.png.8b31883b6c7793cf734d3f543a64b58f.png

5a3339fcd7f9d_Bildschirmfoto2017-05-01um11_03_25.thumb.png.8b31883b6c7793cf734d3f543a64b58f.png

Posted · Using the UM3 as PostScript printer? Oo

I guess it's a service to be able to use the printer using the network, i know that to be able to use octoprint you also need bonjour on windows...

But you can't use it to print documents or whatever (i don't know what or why you would do that :) )

Posted (edited) · Using the UM3 as PostScript printer? Oo

We have some partial hacked compatibility with microsofts wsprint api for 3d printers, maybe that is being detected.

This is active IN developer mode only!!! this is not meant to be used by anyone but developers at this point and it's only included because we experimented with it.

The upshot is that if you have windows 10 you could discover and use the printer with native (included in windows) tools.

These tools are however way more limited then just using Cura.

I'm thinking of this since it uses a bunch of outdated terminology (imho) and at some point indeed comes across as a plain old 2d printer.

maybe it could work as long as the postscript you send is then actually gcode, I have no clue...

we have certainly not tested this!!!!

Edited by Guest
    • Like 1