Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
LesHall

UM_Blackbelt - how about a Blackbelt attachment for the Ultimaker?

You mean something like this?

http://hackaday.com/2017/03/25/mrrf-17-the-infinite-build-volume-printer/

I did think about this earlier today, and it should be totally possible to remove the Z stage and mount something like in the link above, the downside would be that since it is angled 45 degress, you would be limited in how long things you can print before you hit the floor or it breaks off, unless you tilted the printer 45 degrees back :-)

Yes like that but with a flat bed. The existing bed in fact, because the 45 degree angle allows for the "infinite length" feature, but that is not necessary in many cases. I want to print Christian crosses mostly, and also perhaps small musical instruments and cases. Just to add a conveyor, even a small one, would be sufficient.

maybe a good solution is to just get a robotic arm and have it reach into the printer to grab or push the part out the front. Suitable arms can be purchased as kits for a few hundred dollars, or since it's a specialty motion, perhaps a simple one-motor rotating hook type thing.

I'm sure there's a simple way to do this without modding the printer. Then select a material and bed that separate easily and print without glue, etc. and there is a working system!

Les