Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Shinji

Water stuck in parts during immersion for PVA deserving.

Hello, I’m new to the forum/ultimaker community. I work in CNC manufacturing so I have some experience although not completely related. So here is my question

when I print with PLA and PVA its awesome. the supports dissolve in water and no frustrating deburring or breaking of supports. only problem is when it is submerged in water over night. lots of my parts tend to get water stuck in them through the small openings (3d printing is not usually 100% air tight). So now all the supports are gone but now I got water stuck inside the print. and it’s kind of annoying. Has anyone had this problem and what do you guys do to solve it? I am thinking about drilling a weep hole and making another hole on top, then using compressed air to force it out.

Ultimaker 3

PVA PLA

20% infill all default settings.

I just take my printed objects and put them on a paper towel or three and they are dry in a day or two. I guess it would depend on how fast you need a part dried. I am usually not in that much of a hurry as I am not in a production environment.

Even if the print was 'air tight', it could still leak water inside if there is a strand of PVA that got dragged across the surface during printing. It would then dissolve and leave a tiny hole whilst also wicking in the water.