Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
tatnallschool

Using Cura on Multiple User Accounts

Hello- We are a school, and I am working on setting up the OS image for the coming year. We are using MacOS Sierra 10.12.5, and I'm working with the latest Cura 21.04-d244. It seems that the only way the software will work is on the account from which it was installed, and it will not run on any other local accounts. For example, I initially installed the software as administrator, and it ran just fine. Then I went into a different local account, and the software could not even be opened. I opened up permissions and ACLs in every conceivable way, but it would not open. It said the program is damaged and cannot be opened. Of course, it was not damaged because I could go back to the administrator account and it worked fine.

Then I completely uninstalled it and reinstalled it on the different account which does not have administrator privileges. It worked fine. Of course, when I went back to administrator, it would not open, displaying the same behavior as before. This is obviously a big problem, because we have a number of different local user accounts on our lab machines and laptops.

It has all the markings of a permissions issue, but after adjusting and modifying permissions in every possible way, the rigid behavior of the software indicates something else is going on.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks very much.

Cura 21.04-d244 is not an Ultimaker product. It sounds like the Lulzbot edition of Cura. You can probably get better support for that version of Cura in the Lulzbot forums. The latest release of Cura that is supported by Ultimaker is Cura 2.6. The version numbers are a bit confusing, but see the version you are using as Cura 1.21.04-d244, and it is a bit more clear.

As far as I remember, Cura 1 used a "non-standard" location to put its configuration files: C:/Users/[username]/.cura/[version]. If your policies disallow write access to that folder, I can see why Cura would not start. Cura 2.6 uses the more official C:/Users/[username]/AppData/Roaming/cura/2.6.