Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
leo_gas96

Model and reality measures not matching

Hi,

I am new to 3d printing, I have an anet a8 and use cura 2.5.

Recently I edited a frame brace which was designed for a different anet version so i opened fusion 360 and redesigned the model from scratch measuring the wrong one with a caliber.

Well, when i printed it measures where all messed up, real width in question is 149.4 mm but i got something about 180mm so i checked the original file and it's only 119.5mm.

I can't understand what's wrong and I would be very pleased if anyone can help me.

Thanks in advance.

Manually design a test-file: for example a rectangle of 50mm x 50mm x 0.5mm high, plus a cube of 10mm x 10mm x 10mm. These don't waste too much material and time. Put these in your slicer and verify if their dimensions are still okay. Try printing and see what comes out. This should give you an idea in which direction to search.

Manually design a test-file: for example a rectangle of 50mm x 50mm x 0.5mm high, plus a cube of 10mm x 10mm x 10mm. These don't waste too much material and time. Put these in your slicer and verify if their dimensions are still okay. Try printing and see what comes out. This should give you an idea in which direction to search.

I designed and printed a 5mm cube.

In cura everything is fine (5 x 5 x 5), but printed object is stretched in X (6.4 mm) and Y (6 mm) axis, Z is right.

I think belts are well tensioned, maybe too much, but surely not loose.

EDIT: After measuring different small objects it seems that they're scaled about 25% on both X and Y.

Edited by Guest

In cura everything is fine (5 x 5 x 5), but printed object is stretched in X (6.4 mm) and Y (6 mm) axis, Z is right.

EDIT: After measuring different small objects it seems that they're scaled about 25% on both X and Y.

Sounds like the calibration factors for your printer need to be adjusted. I don't know your printer, but there should be somewhere in your setup that translates mm to stepper motor steps. If that is messed up, you will see parts which are scaled up (or down) consistently. If you can find the place to adjust the "steps per mm" for X and Y, then change the X number to one that is smaller by the factor 5.0/6.4, and change the Y number that is smaller by the factor 5.0/6.0 then re-run your test. Should get you close.

Sounds like the calibration factors for your printer need to be adjusted. I don't know your printer, but there should be somewhere in your setup that translates mm to stepper motor steps. If that is messed up, you will see parts which are scaled up (or down) consistently. If you can find the place to adjust the "steps per mm" for X and Y, then change the X number to one that is smaller by the factor 5.0/6.4, and change the Y number that is smaller by the factor 5.0/6.0 then re-run your test. Should get you close.

Do I have to edit the firmware of my printer? I can't find any kind of option in the slicer.