Overhang warning - red surface confusing?

Margarida

Posted · Overhang warning - red surface confusing?

Hello,

I exported from Rhino into Cura and some surfaces are highlighted in red. I understand that red normally indicates there is an overhang, however, in my model, some areas I would assume would be an overhang are not highlighted red, and others I would not assume to be overhangs, seems to be highlighted. See image. Is this a bug in Cura or am I thinking about it wrong?

Thanks,

-Margarida

5a333d3e5d05a_ScreenShot2017-07-24at17_43_38.thumb.png.a385d5453e69a45d2f59761a34809bb0.png[/media]

5a333d3e5d05a_ScreenShot2017-07-24at17_43_38.thumb.png.a385d5453e69a45d2f59761a34809bb0.png

Posted · Overhang warning - red surface confusing?

For the visualisation of overhang, Cura relies on the normals of the model. Your model may have inconsistent or flipped normals, which causes the visualisation to be wrong. The technique is fast, but relies on certain info in the model.

CuraEngine does not use surface normals, but the mechanism it uses is not very suitable for realtime visualisation.