Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
timskloss

Enhancement Request: Print size, weight and time as comment in gcode file

I occasionally reprint parts from g-code files without re-slicing and some of them are big, over 100-300 grams. It would be really great if Cura would save the estimated filament length, weight in grams and print time as a comment in the beginning of the gcode file so I could easily check if I have enough material (and time!) on hand.

Every time I open a new spool of filament I weigh it and write down the total weight on the spool with a marker. This way I can always get a close estimate of what is left on the spool at any time by simply reweighing and subtracting the weight of the spool. The weight of the spool would be the original total weight minus the size of the spool. Example: if the new total weight of a 1 kg spool is 1246 grams, then I can assume the spool weighs 246 grams.

I have had great success with this method and found most filament suppliers error on the side of giving a little extra on the spool. So far I have never run out, but my rule is to never cut it closer than 5% of the total part weight.